Sunday, August 31, 2014

Lamb kafta rolls and Lebanese bread ...


Gus had picked out a recipe for Saturday night dinner so I made some Lebanese bread to go with it.
~
Most breads take a few hours and so did these. Mix the dough, let it prove for one hour.
~
Roll in to balls, let them rest for 10 minutes...
~
Flatten out each ball on a floured surface then roll out to 20cm round (ish)!
~
Cover and rest for another hour...
~
Preheat oven to 240C (hot!) and place tray in to heat also.  Then one by one, bake each round on a sheet of baking paper until puffed.

They didnt brown much but I guess the bought ones are not very brown either...
~
Gus made these Lamb Kafta rolls ...
~
This is the yummy filling of spinach, onion, pinenuts, almonds, raisins, allspice, salt and pepper and lemon juice.

He pan fried the rolls then baked them in the oven to finish off.
~
We served the kaftas with steamed veggies and tzatziki dip with my lebanese bread. Very, very good!
~
Apple crumble for dessert but it was a bit too sweet. I used pink lady apples and plump raisins and really didnt need to use sugar with them, just in the crumble topping.
 The crumble is: 2 tblsn plain flour, 1 cup rolled oats, 2 tblsn brown sugar, 1 teaspoon cinnamon and 2 tblsn diced butter. Mix dry ingredients and spread over apples (I zapped apples in micro for 2 minutes to soften slightly) then dot little cubes of butter over crumble. Bake for 30 minutes at 180C. Add cream!
~
This coconut is going to be in tonights dinner so stay tuned for another of Gus' kitchen masterpieces! A Kylie Kwong recipe...
~
One more thing to share with you - I worked out that when freezing leftover curry and rice ... It is best to put the rice on the bottom of the container so it doesn't dry out in the freezer!  On the left is a curry from 2 weeks ago (which will be lunch one day this week) and on the right, the Thai green curry from Friday with the rice at the bottom.  Rivetting, mind blowing stuff, people!  
~
I've finally got my first cold this year, right at the very end of our winter - sore throat, throbbing sinuses and a nice dull headache! I'll be taking it easy today but I do hope to get onto that quilt and sew the edging so I can use it as a throw.
Cheers - Joolz xx


 

3 comments:

  1. Yummo once again Joolz. Good luck with the cold, hopefully you get over it quickly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those koftas are mouth watering, delicious! Hope you're feeling better quickly x

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Alicia - i'm feeling a bit better today. I'm very sneezy so I think its half hay fever! Have a nice day!

      Delete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.