Monday, June 15, 2015

Big barbecue lunch...

We had planned to have a back yard paddock fire on Sunday but the weather got in the way of things. Cold and drizzly, we abandoned that idea for a pergola/indoor affair....
You see, we had this huge lump of cow to cremate! I believe it was about 7 kgs (Gus bought it at a fundraising auction a few weeks back). It was cryo-vacced but was needing to be eaten. We invited some friends around and lit the chiminea to warm us...
I made some ciabatta rolls (starting the biga (mother) the night before...
I must add a bit more water next time as it was quite dry...
When I added the rest of the flour and yeast etc the dough seemed very dry so again, more water needed next time. I didn't think they would be any good, the dough was so tough to work with...
...but they turned out okay. Perhaps not as airy and coarse crumbed as they should be but totally edible anyway.
Oh, wow! This is my new, favourite salad! So delicious and tangy!
The recipe is from Marie at The English Kitchen and its called
The dressing is so scrummy - you must try it! I would halve the dressing recipe as it makes enough for 2 salads and I'm not sure how long it keeps in the fridge...
I totally forgot to take pictures of the big lumps of rump steak that Gus cooked but we all enjoyed it, from the warmth of our dining room. A great day with friends. We don't do it often enough!
Cheers - Joolz xx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.