Monday, November 13, 2017

Easy pie crust...

 The pie crust that I made turned out really well and the pastry was easy to handle - it didn’t break apart when I rolled it out.  I used my food processor to cut in the butter but you can do it by hand too.

Pie crust

2.5 cups plain flour
225 gms cold butter (cut into cubes)
1/2 tspn salt
1 tspn sugar
Iced water

Add 1.5 cups of the flour, the salt and sugar and all of the butter to the processor. 
Blitz in short bursts to chop the butter and blend it with the flour.  It should be clumpy with no dry flour showing.

Add in the remaining flour and blitz again, it should look crumbly.

Tip out the mix into a large bowl.  Add in 4 tblspns of the iced water and gently mix, pushing the dough to the side of the bowl, gradually and gently forming a dough.  The secret is not to mix it with your hands which will melt the butter.  

You might need more water - I did.  Just add 1 tblspn at a time...

Once it has come together, squeeze it into a firm ball and place on a floured surface. Cut the ball in half and form two balls then flatten out to discs for easy rolling out later.  

Refrigerate for 30 minutes.

I use baking paper to roll my dough on.  Select your pie dish then roll out the first round a little larger than your dish.  Flip the dough over onto the pie dish and remove paper.   Trim the pastry edge then roll it under to make a neat edge.

Fill your pie with your favourite filling.  I chose canned cherry pie filling.  Roll out second round and flip it onto the filled pie.  Trim and make the edge crimped - see the video for this.  I mastered it after a few goes.  I have long finger nails which were a bit of a problem!  Cut slits in the top to allow steam to escape.  I brushed with milk (you could use egg) then sprinkled with caster sugar.

Bake for 20 minutes at 200C then back to 180C for another 20-30 minutes.



View the clip here ... https://youtu.be/k9b3RVi181o

Enjoy your pie!

Cheers - Joolz xx

1 comment:

  1. Oooh that looks delicious, I made a cherry pie last year, and while it was nice, I intended to revisit it and improve it a bit, but I haven't yet! I must do something about that!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.