Thursday, September 20, 2012

Homemade Naan Bread ...

I found a recipe for Naan bread on the BudgetBytes site and whipped up a batch last night to go with my Thai Green Chicken Curry - OhMyLordy! Best naan bread ever! And the curry was delish too!
~
The recipe is very easy to follow - get your yeast, sugar and water mixed up and frothing, add in one egg, some yoghurt and oil. Add this to 1 cup of flour and gradually add in more flour by 1/2 cup measures until you have a stiff dough. I used 2.5 cups of flour all up. I used my mixer with dough hook to mix it all for about 5 minutes. Shape into a ball and put it in a bowl to prove until it has doubled in size.
~
Next, take the dough and divide it into 8 pieces and roll into balls. Now roll each ball nice and flat - about 5 mls thick. Heat your fry pay or griddle (I have a big, long flat electric griddle that my M-I-L gave me - great for pancakes and this bread!), spray with a little oil spray and fry the bread until bubbles form and it is browned underneath. Spray to the top of the bread then flip it over and brown on that side too.
~
~
Tah dah! Lovely natural naan bread - the one I usually buy in the supermarket is made in India and is tasty (mint & yoghurt flavour) but it has a long expiry date on it so there must be lots of preservatives in it. This is preservative free. We ate half the batch and I have frozen the other for another time to be heated in the oven.
Give it a go!
~
Cheers - Joolz

8 comments:

  1. love naan bread but hate most Indian food.

    Gill

    ReplyDelete
  2. well done, you've made it easy to try at home
    xx

    ReplyDelete
  3. We're not big on Indian food either, but the bread looks good.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have only made naan bread once before but it was delish! Must make it again!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mmmm sounds good will be giving it a go...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yummo Joolz will be giving this ago!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I will definitely give this a go Joolz.

    x

    ReplyDelete
  8. They look great...how easy are they to make!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.