Saturday, January 19, 2013

Tomato Relish ...

I haven't been able to source any home grown tomatoes so I bit the bullet and bought 6 kgs of tomatoes from our local supermarket.  They looked quite nice (red and juicy) but were a bit floury and pale inside.  Never judge a book ...
This recipe is what my mother has always made.  You prepare the tomatoes and onions the previous night then cook the relish the following day.
~
I spent a long time blanching the tomatoes to remove their skins (you cut a small cross across the base of the tomato then plunge them in boiling water which splits the skin making it easy to remove) then chopping them up and removing the woody stalk end.
I had 2 kgs of onions to chop but rather than do it by hand, I opted to use my food processor - first I used the slicer attachment.  Then I tipped them out and re chopped them using the processor blade. Five minutes tops and the job was done.  No tears!  At this point you put the tomatoes in a large stock pot and toss in a handful of salt (a vague term but I guess 1/4 - 1/2  cup?).  Put the lid on and forget about making relish and go to bed because your feet are killing you!
Next morning, add the onion to the tomatoes and 1 kg of sugar.  Bring this mixture to the boil (it will take a while).  The recipe also says to barely cover the mixture with white vinegar.  Now my mix was actually really juicy (the salt brings out all the moisture from the tomatoes), so I just added a good slug of vinegar (probably 1 cup)
Let it bubble away for 20 minutes at a slow rolling boil.
                           
Now add in 2 generous tablespoons of curry powder and 3 tablespoons of dry mustard powder.
Since I had made apricot jam only days earlier, it suddenly dawned on me that I might not have enough jars.  I scrambled to find them is cupboards and drawers and even cleaned out the panty of some nearly finished jams and pickles.  I sterilised them by filling each with boiling water then carefully tipped it out and placed them on an oven tray and baked them for 5 minutes in a 180C oven.
I use these clear cellophane covers (like my Mum always did) to seal the jars (and once they have tightened over the jars, I put on the matching jar lid just to make sure the seal is good.
This is my bounty - 24 jars (!) or Tomato Relish - I will give some away as we will never eat it all and it's nice to share, right?
~


Cheers - Joolz

3 comments:

  1. Wow - this looks great Joolz. You're better than me. I always have the best of intentions .........!
    cheers Wendy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Your relish looks amazing. I bought some of those cellophane sealers too, but haven't used them yet :)

    I am afraid the heat is killing off any chance of me making tomato relish this year :(

    x

    ReplyDelete
  3. Found your website when I went looking for a tomato relish recipe, Joolz - decided to give your version a go (tomorrow) but what captured me was your lovely homepage and your down to earth comments - especially about going to bed coz your feet are too sore! Oh, how I can relate to that!! Off to buy my tomatoes now...will check in again another day to look at the rest of your website.

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.