Thursday, February 1, 2018

Zucchini relish...

I have been trying to post about our lovely Australia Day weekend but am having trouble getting Blog Pro to publish the post....grrrr!  Stay tuned!
Yesterday, Gus was given a nice big zucchini and Sally at Jembella Farm had made some zucchini relish so that's what I set about doing this morning.
~
I just chopped and diced the zucc with a knife rather than food processing.  I doubled the recipe and used 1 red chilli and 1 teaspoon of dried chilli flakes.  Everything else was doubled.

Ready for cooking...

Nearly cooked.  I boiled it for about 1 hour.

I sterilise my jars by pouring boiling water into each one, filling it to the brim.  I soak all the lids in boiling water also.  When I'm ready to bottle, I tip out the boiling water and upend the jars on a clean tea towel.  Filling the jars with hot goods is the best way to ensure that they will not spoil.  

X
This recipe uses corn flour to thicken the relish.  This worked really well and made it just a bit thicker and nice and glossy.


Lids are quickly put on and tightened and jars wiped clean.  I upend the jars for a few minutes to heat the lids again then turn them back over.  Within about half an hour, you should hear the lid seals pop down.  This means the jars are sealed perfectly. 
Sally said to leave the relish for a couple of weeks to develop the flavour but I think I might try a bit this coming weekend.  I may have to put a jar of it in our local show, later in the year!

Cheers - Joolz xx

3 comments:

  1. Oh, how I love relish! You should definitely put a bottle into your local show. That would be fun! Mege:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jules your relish looks wonderful. Perhaps next time, if I'm not feeling so lazy, I'll chop it like you've done. I love how everyone puts their own touch to a recipe. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Goodness me Joolz - zucchinis at this time of year??!! Ha ha. I secretly just love them cut up into sticks and eating them raw with hummus

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.