Sunday, March 17, 2013

Around about ...

Sunday (10th March) we went for a "one nighter" to our favourite beach camping spot.
~
 Setting Ruby up ... This time we didn't put on the back annexe.
Nice view...
~
Pretty sunset as usual...
~
See my little 'ensuite toilet'?
~
~
Barbecue chicken for dinner with salads...
~
Breakfast next morning - I discovered that by placing foil on the barbecue grill, it toasts bread or crumpets perfectly, much better than toasting it over the camp cooker flame.
~
Prior to our camping trip, I had a go at making Panacotta (vanilla bean flavour).  I made a strawberry syrup and put that aside.  Then I heated some frozen berries with some sugar and let that dissolve.  I chilled that in the fridge until needed.
~
The recipe made 4 glasses of panacotta so we had them over two nights.
~
  The first night with the berries and strawberry syrup - so delicious! 
~
~
Then the next night I chopped up some fresh mango, mashed it then heated that in a pan with a little sugar to make a coulis.  When I served it cold, I just added fresh chopped mango.  So good!  I think I need to make a 'low fat' version as the recipe used full fat milk and cream.  I think skim milk would work just as well.  It was actually a bit 'fatty' in my mouth so will try that.  Definitely a fan of panacotta though!
~
Last Monday, I also made some more pickled beetroot.  I bought 2 bunches of beets for $8 and this gave me 4 jars.
~
While the beets are cooking you can make your spiced vinegar. Into a saucepan place:
1 cup water2 cups vinegar - I used apple cider vinegar2 ½ tablespoons sugar½ teaspoon salt2 teaspoons of mixed spices - I mixed up a combo of celery seeds, mustard seeds and peppercorns and used two teaspoons of the mix.
Bring this mixture to the boil and simmer it for two minutes.


~

I tried a jar today, after just 1 week and it is delicious.  Um, I ate the whole jar full, some for lunch then I snacked on it later.... beetroot guilt!
~
Thursday, I made another delicious beef curry - I like making these when Gus is going to be late home, so I can just have it simmering, ready to go.
~
~
Kirby has been home this weekend which has been lovely.  Just two nights but it's great to see her! :)
Gus did a roasted shoulder of lamb in the Weber kettle and I roasted some veggies inside.  Pumpkin, garlic and red onion, drizzled with oil, balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper and salt, baby chat potatoes.
~
I also did Maple Syrup glazed carrots, very nice!
~
Today I made some bread rolls for Kirby to take home to share with Brianna.
~
I also made some Weekender biscuits (with choc chips)...
~
~
It's been a restful weekend.  Kirby just texted to say she was home safe so...  Life is good!
Joolz xx


4 comments:

  1. WOW, it looks like you go glamping with all that wonderful food you had. Also lots of yummy food at home. Where do you find the time when you work.
    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a marvelous "get away!" The company, view, and food look spectacular. :) We are looking forward to warm weather here, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those pannacottas look delicious! And I love the loo!
    Judy xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. All your food looks delicious and your ensuite is very impressive! I have taken so many photos lately of my meal preparations but then I have forgotten to take shots once its finished...grrr!

    ReplyDelete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.