Sunday, March 22, 2015

My easy bread rolls...

I have been making these rolls for quite a while now and they are just so easy and never fail!

Here's a step by step tutorial on how I make them...

This is the type of yeast I use (Tandaco is another brand) - this is a 8gm sachet...

In a stand mixer bowl, sprinkle in 1 sachet of yeast, 1 tablespoon of sugar and add 200 mls of warm water. Give it a quick whisk to mix it all up. Set your timer for 10 minutes and go and do a small household chore - fold those towels or that basket of clothes - job done!

Using kitchen scales, measure out 600 grams of plain flour - I use baker's flour but good old homebrand plain flour does the same trick - that's what I used at the girls house this past week. Today I am using two flours - 500gms plain white and 100gms wholemeal plain. It just makes the rolls a bit nuttier. Once you get the method of making these rolls, you can experiment with flours and add wholegrains, pepitas, linseed, chia, oatmeal or whatever floats your boat!

~

Melt a good knob of butter...about 30 grams...

Once the 10 minutes is up - tip in your 600gms flour, the butter and 1 teaspoon of salt and an extra 200gms warm water.

Set the mixer going and gently get the dough incorporated. You might need to scrape down the sides. Now speed up the mixer and let it go for about 4 minutes.

Your dough should resemble something like this. It will be a bit sticky.

Man handle it into a ball (I didn't use any more flour) and drop it into a lightly oiled bowl. Cover with a clean cloth and set it somewhere warm to prove for 45 minutes. I usually set a timer for 2 minutes, turn on my oven to 150 - turn off the oven when timer goes off. Place bowl in oven with door ajar. Today, I have it sitting outside as its been 30C here.

~

Again, while you are waiting for that 45 minutes to elapse, go do another job.

When was the last time uou gave the inside of your washing machine a good wipe over? 10 minutes...

Straighten a shelf in your pantry... 10 minutes

Tidy the computer desk... 10 minutes

Take the garbage and newspapers out to the outside bins... 5 minutes

Boil the kettle and make a cup of tea ... Aaah!

Ok, there's the timer going off!

Can you see how much it has risen? This is a good rise.

~

~

I use a pastry sheet - I found the flour was starting to scratch and dull my Laminex bench tops - this protects it. Put a little flour down...

Tip out the dough and give it a very gentle knead, pushing and turning it about 10 times ...

Then shape into a nice smooth ball...

Cover your oven tray with baking paper...

Now weigh your ball of dough. We want 12 rolls so ... 1082/12 = 90grams

~

I quarter the dough then chop down into 12 lumps, weighing as I go...

12 lumps of dough, ready to roll...

Cup the dough loosely under your hand and roll around in a circle so the ball forms nicely...

One down, eleven to go!

Here they are. Now they need to rise for 25 minutes. After 15 minutes, turn your oven onto 200C for the last 10 minutes so its nice and hot...

After 25 minutes, they've risen nicely...

Using clean kitchen scissors...

...give them a snip - just for decoration. You could also slash with a scalpel...

Now spray them with fresh water. You could spray with oil and add seeds or oatmeal on top at this stage...

Into the oven for the first 10 minutes...then turn around 180 degrees for a further 5 minutes then a few more minutes if needed. Keep an eye on them and keep setting that timer!

All done, lovely golden and crunchy...

The bases are nicely browned and they sound hollow when tapped...

~

I hope you'll give these a try - in an hour and a half you can have lovely rolls on the dinner table. There are no nasties in these rolls but moderation is still key. Enjoy when you want to sop up some pasta sauce or gravy and they're lovely with soup. I freeze them in twos in freezer bags, once cooled.

I microwave them for 25 secs when needed then toast up in the oven.

Cheers - Joolz xx

I'll post a more straight forward recipe shortly...

 

2 comments:

  1. Mmmm...mmmm...guess who's making rolls tomorrow! I don't have a dough mixer so I'll adapt and hand knead the dough. Thanks for this great tutorial.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Sally,

      The rolls should turn out just fine if you hand mix and knead them. I've done it that way and they are great! - J

      Delete

I love when you comment on my blog but will not publish anonymous comments unless you reveal a name.